The Medical First Aid course is presented over a 4 day period of professional instruction. The course contains both theoretical & practical elements.
The contents of the course are:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Principles of First Aid management on board ship
- Vital Signs, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Bleeding and Wounds
- Management of special forms of bleeding
- Bandaging Techniques
- Administering Injections
- Shock Fainting & Unconsciousness
- Treatment of Burns & Electrical accidents
- Transporting an injured person
- Treating injuries
- Oxygen Administration
- Toxic Hazards of Chemicals including poisoning
- Examination of a patient
- Lifeboat ailments
- Evacuation by Helicopter
- Advice on medicines
- First Aid Protocols
- HIV/Aids and the interpretation of Signs & Symptoms (Diagnosis).
A certificate of successful completion of an Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) Course is a requirement for the MCA Yacht Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certificate of Competency (CoC).
PYT offers the MCA-approved EDH course at the premises of SAMTRA in Simon’s Town.
Although candidates may sit the OOW oral exam beforehand, the EDH certificate must have been held for 18 months in order for the CoC to be issued.
Similarly, although the EDH course can be attended beforehand, certain mandatory requirements must be met before an EDH Certificate may be issued. The candidate must:
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Hold at least one of the following:
- An MCA accepted Yachtmaster Offshore/Master of Yachts 200t Limited
- A Yacht Rating Certificate and a steering certificate
- A Navigational Watch Rating Certificate
- A Boat Master Licence Tier 1 or 2
- A Tug Rating Certificate and a steering certificate
- Have completed a minimum of 6 months seagoing service on vessels >15 m